ARCHDIOCESE OF SANTA FE
Religious Education Office
Catherine V. Abeyta, Director - 831-8127, Email: email@example.com
Mary Ann Holland, Director, Catechetical Support - 831-8128,
Mary Armijo, Administrative Assistant - 831-8129
Priority of This Task
The more the Church, whether on the local or the universal level, gives catechesis priority over other works and undertakings, the results of which would be more spectacular, the more she finds in catechesis a strengthening of her internal life as a community of believers and of her external activity as a missionary Church. As the 20th century draws to a close, the Church is bidden by God and by events - each of them a call from Him - to renew her trust in catechetical activity as a prime aspect of her mission. She is bidden to offer catechesis her best resources, in people and energy, without sparing effort, toil or material means, in order to organize it better and to train qualified personnel.
Catechesi Tradendae- #15
Apostolic Exhortation of His Holiness Pope John Paul II.
On Catechesis in Our Time - St. Paul Editions, 1979)
Mission Statement: 0ffice of Religious Education
The Religious Education Office operates in the context of the ongoing evangelization and conversion process that is the goal of the Church for every Christian. It will provide for pastors, parents and pastoral teams, DREs, CREs, Catholic school principals and teachers, leadership, enablement, support and coordination through which they may effectively grow in and find success in catechetical ministry. It will provide the encouragement, means, and challenge for continuing growth in vision, purpose and commitment for the catechetical ministry of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe.
Three Archdiocese of Santa Fe Pastoral Goals implemented by the
Religious Education Department
1. Leadership Development
- implement standards and competencies for catechetical leaders
- conduct monthly inservice meetings for parish catechetical leaders (DREs or CREs)
- provide ministry formation and certification for catechists and other leaders
- aide parish catechetical leaders in sponsoring regional catechetical conferences
- sponsor a yearly leadership growth day
- sponsor a yearly affirmation of catechetical ministry celebration day
2. Communication and Collaboration
- consultation (phone, or on site) with clergy and other parish leaders and catechists
- communication and help to parish catechetical leaders in implementation of archdiocesan sacramental preparation policies and guidelines
- identification and promotion of new models for catechesis and religious education
- communication and collaboration with all pastoral ministries
- communication and collaboration with the Province of Santa Fe Diocesan Directors (5 dioceses: Gallup, Las Cruces, Phoenix, Santa Fe and Tucson)
- communication and collaboration with the National Conference of Catechetical Leaders (NCCL) and other national organizations, e.g. NCEA, NPCD, NACAMP, NCPD, NACAMP
- communication and collaboration with Archdiocesan Religious Education Advisory Board and taskforces
- personal consultations for all parishes on new or ongoing catechetical issues, trends and concerns
- personal consultations for all parish catechetical leaders on choosing and using a/v
- resources available through the Ministry Resource Center
- information sharing on catechetical matters through direct mail, FYI, People of God, MRC Newsletter as well as through monthly meetings with parish catechetical leadership
- information sharing on presenters for local parish programs and workshops
Four Fundamental Tasks of Catechesis
1. To PROCLAIM Christ's message...
2. To participate in efforts to BUILD community...
3. To INSPIRE persons to worship, prayer, celebration...
4. To MOTIVATE persons to serve others...
Sharing the Light of Faith
Documentation from which Philosophy and Content are Drawn for Catechesis
- The Documents of the Second Vatican Council, 1962-65
- The Directory for Catechesis , Sacred Congregation for the Clergy, 1998
- Good News in New Forms: A Companion for the GAC, NCCL, 1998
- To Teach As Jesus Did, USSC, 1972
- Evangelii Nuntiandi, Pope Paul VI, 1975
- Sharing the Light of Faith - National Catechetical Directory, USCC, 1979
- Catechesi Tradendae, Pope John Paul II, 1979
- Guidelines for Doctrinally Sound Catechetical Materials, USCC 1990
- Catechism of the Catholic Church, USCC 1994
- How to Choose Catechetical Texts, NCCL, 1996
- National Certification Standards for Professional Directors of Religious Education NCCL, 1996
..Remember that we are here for you!
Please call us !
Catherine .....Mary Ann.....Mary
National Catholic Educational Association
National Conference of Catechetical Leadership
General Catechetical Directory
Sacramental Policies Archdiocese of Santa Fe
Home-based Religious Education Policies Archdiocese of Santa Fe
Return to Home Page
Return to Diocesan Offices Page