Director of Campus Ministry
PARISH: Aquinas Newman Center
The Aquinas Newman Center is a dynamic University Parish community in the heart of the main
campus. We are here to be present and in service to the over 26,000 students (mostly commuter
students with 300-500 students participating in the programming), faculty, staff, administrators
and supportive parishioners (1,800 registered families) from the greater Albuquerque metropolitan
area. For over 55 years, the Dominicans of the Province of St. Albert the Great (out of Chicago)
have been ministering to this community with a mind set on preaching, spiritual formation, theological
education and social justice.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS/HOURS: Full-time, exempt, flexible
hours; Sunday work required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Campus Minister leads the Newman Center's ministry with the students of the University
of New Mexico. The Campus Minister is the primary director of all programs concerning UNM student
formation, retreats, weekly liturgies and service outreach.
- Must be a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing.
- M.A. or M. Div. degree or equivalent
graduate study work.
- Demonstrated ability to work with undergraduate and graduate students.
- Excellent interpersonal
- Ability to work with young energetic and sometimes challenging students.
- Demonstrated counseling
experience and skills.
- Ability to work well with other members of the Aquinas Newman Center
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organize the UNM student 5:00PM Sunday Mass, coordinating the liturgy and choir as well
as scheduling the recruiting and training of lay ministers.
- Organize UNM student involvement
in one or more special liturgical events annually, such as reconciliation services, Good Friday
service and Stations of the Cross.
- Coordinate weekly recitation of the Rosary.
- Regularly lead communion/prayer services with
- Organize the monthly candlelight Wednesday evening Mass.
- Organize and run the fall and spring student retreats with student leaders.
- Organize and
run other retreats for freshmen, sophomores and graduate students as needed.
- Recruit student
leaders to form new faith-sharing or scripture study groups.
- Organize scripture study sessions
targeted for UNM students.
- Coordinate with the RCIA team leader and the Director of Religious
Education, the participation of certain UNM students in activities prescribed for their initiation
into the Church.
- Provide spiritual counseling and make referrals when approached by students
on matters of spiritual formation, vocations and/or life crises.
- Monitor the Newman House community,
with particular regard to mutual-supportiveness in spiritual formation with another staff
- Organizing and running the Newman Club assisting the officers in setting and achieving
- Networking with various University professionals. Visiting with professors, staff,
and administrators offering spiritual assistance as needed making referrals to the other Aquinas
Staff when appropriate.
- Coordinate relevant Campus Ministry activities with other members
of the Aquinas Newman Center Staff.
- Write weekly communications for the parish bulletin specifically
for the campus ministry program occasionally writing the “From the desk of . . .” column.
the University’s Inter-Religious Council monthly meetings and participating
in the summer, “Discover UMN” orientation program as well as “tabling” at
the beginning of the fall term and throughout the year.
- Prepare University communications,
as needed, such as the Daily Lobo and local newspapers.
- Expected to be an active member of
the New Mexico Catholic Student Coalition as campus minister, the Catholic Campus Minister
Association, and the National Catholic Student Coalition.
- As requested, attend organized councils
of the Newman Center, such as the Parish Pastoral Council.
- In conjunction with members of
the Parish staff, coordinate the scheduling of Newman facilities.
- Regularly communicate with the Archdiocese of Santa Fe offices:
- of the Archbishop
- of the Chancellor
- of Youth/Young Adult Ministry
- of Communications - preparing communications for the
Archdiocesan paper “The
People of God” when appropriate
- Annually inviting the Archbishop to preside at
a student Mass coordinating schedules with the Archbishop’s office.
Social Justice/Service/Social Life:
- Regularly coordinate local service projects
for students with Dismas House, Barrett House, Habitat for Humanity, Roadrunner Food Bank,
Trinity Catholic Worker House and the annual Christmas “baggies” project
preparing items for local homeless shelters. etc.
- Develop and oversee “Alternative
Spring Break Experience” and “Summer
- Regularly attend the monthly meetings of the Aquinas Newman Center Peace & Social
Justice Commission and be a liaison for the staff with this Commission.
- Direct interested
students to participate in the parish’s Social Justice Commission.
- Recruit and oversee
volunteers to run social activities, such as assisting with the parish’s
Halloween Party and annual fundraising “Gala” as well as the student-run Mardi
Gras Dance, video nights, lock ins etc.
- Maintain the student organization charter at UNM.
- Prepare and maintain annual campus ministry
budget in cooperation with the Business Manager.
- Coordinate two student fundraising projects
each fall to offset the cost of the annual National Catholic Student Coalition Conference.
The two projects are selling of “Entertainment
Books” and hosting a “Burrito Breakfast.”
- Coordinate the parish shoppers and
cooks for the weekly Student Sunday Dinner following the 5 PM Mass.
- Annually evaluate the program
and advise pastor of potential adjustments.
- In collaboration with the pastor, perform succession
planning as warranted.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Commensurate with responsibilities
in the New Mexico market.
CONTACT: Any interested persons who feel they have
the gifts and talents to assist in serving in this position can submit a resume, cover letter,
three letters of recommendation and your own original two-page “Theology of Campus Ministry” to:
Rev. Andrew J. Pavlak, OP - Pastor
Aquinas Newman Center
1815 Las Lomas Road, NE
Albuquerque, NM 87106-3393
or e-mail the above to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or, email@example.com
POSTING DATE: January 18, 2006
CLOSING DATE: April 1, 2006