Secretary III, Communications / People of God
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications/Editor, People
of God Newspaper
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Director of Communications, prepare copy, proofread, and layout
of the monthly issue of People of God, FYI Monthly newsletter and assist in the clerical needs
required in the production of the weekly TV Mass. The secretary is responsible for carrying
out the ordinary assigned duties of secretary, and specific responsibilities as designated by
the Director of Communications. Conscious that the secretary is often the first contact with
the office directly by telephone or through written correspondence, the secretary is to be gracious,
courteous, efficient and confidential in all dealings and situations.
Education/Work Experience/Skills Requirements
- High school diploma
- Three years work experience in a secretarial position
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office, Windows XP, Access, MS Project, InDesign software
- Type 60 wpm
- Working knowledge of church structure and ministries related to Liturgy and Christian Initiation
- Knowledge of journalistic practices
- Light bookkeeping abilities
- Evidence of ability to coordinate, schedule, follow through and carry out numerous assignments
accurately and with minimal supervision
- Understanding of importance and adherence to confidentiality
- Proven written and verbal skills
- Detail oriented; problem solver
- Experience in layout and design
- Dependability and punctuality
- Good filing and organizational skills
- Flexibility and openness to change
- Demonstrated sensitivity to a multi-cultural church
- Ability to proceed with self-assurance
- Ability to work well with staff and supervisors
- In work situation and dealing with co-workers and public, adhere to the Mission statement
of the Catholic Center and Code of Ethics and follow policies and procedures of the Archdiocese
and the Catholic Center.
- Perform all the ordinary and expected responsibilities of a secretary utilizing professional
and technical skills to complete office of Communications.
- Assist and adhere to project timelines.
- Submit all articles received for publication in People of God to Editor.
- Prepare copy and work with Director on layout of paper.
- Proof paper for publication.
- Work with Director to determine themes, special features and special series.
- Prepare and disseminate correspondence, as directed by Director.
- Maintain a good working relationship with marketing representative.
- Maintain respective databases.
- Prep selected articles from the CNS web site as directed.
- Respond to questions re: articles, ad placement requests appropriately.
- Mail paper monthly to individuals on Archbishop’s mailing list.
- Respond to questions from parishes.
- Regularly update number of copies received by parishes.
- Assist Director in preparation of FYI Monthly Newsletter and distribution.
- Assists Director in production of TV Mass and prepares related correspondence.
- Keep all records current.
- Type budgets for People of God as prepared by Director.
- Transcribes dictation/recordings in designated format as directed.
- Compose draft materials as directed.
- Meet deadlines with reliability.
- Exhibit a helpful, caring, professional attitude at all times.
- Keep work area in good order.
- May be called upon, at the discretion of the immediate supervisor, to perform comparable
duties of a similar or related nature or to assist in other areas when Catholic Center needs
PAY STEP: 4 ($10.76 per hour) 35 hours per week +
excellent benefit package
CONTACT: Director of Human Resources (505-831-8130)
email at email@example.com
POSTING DATE: December 2, 2005
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled.